New DelhiThe air quality in Delhi-NCR has seriously deteriorated due to increasing pollution. The government has taken several steps to curb pollution. Meanwhile, Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai on Thursday said that no matter how hard they try, it is not possible to get rid of 69 per cent “outdoor pollution” without a joint action plan of the Center and the monitoring team.
Rai cited a report published by the Center for Science and Environment, which is based on data released by an agency of the Ministry of Earth Sciences, called Systems of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR).
The minister claimed that as per the report published by the Center for Science and Environment, Delhi’s contribution to air pollution is 31 per cent and the remaining 69 per cent pollution is from outside the national capital.
“As per the CSE report based on SAFAR data between October 24 and November 8, Delhi contributes 31 per cent to air pollution and the remaining 69 per cent pollution is from outside Delhi. The report matches 2016 TERI data which has 36 per cent of air pollution. Pollution percentage released from Delhi and 64 percent from outside,” Gopal Rai told news agency ANI.
“No matter how hard we try, it is not possible to get rid of 70 per cent outdoor pollution without a joint action plan by the Center and a monitoring team. The data establishes that the contribution of Delhi pollution is largely from outside. People of Delhi are constantly have attacked pollution,” he said.
Gopal Rai on Wednesday had announced 100 per cent work from home for government departments till November 21 as an emergency measure to curb pollution.
Rai also announced that schools and other educational institutions will remain closed till further orders and that demolition work and construction have also been completely stopped till November 21.
(with inputs from ANI)