The death toll in the violence on the streets of Ranchi on Friday rose to two after another man was shot dead in the early hours of Saturday. Police have identified the dead as 20-year-old Sahil and 15-year-old Mudassir Alam, who were waiting for the results of class X board examinations.
The JMM and the Congress-led coalition Hemant Soren government have ordered a high-level inquiry into the incident and the circumstances that led to police “firing” on the mob, which has now been suspended for remarks against the Prophet. was opposing. BJP Spokesperson Nupur Sharma
SP (Rural) Naushad Alam told The Sunday Express, “Around 13 people were injured, some in stone pelting, some by bullet injuries. SP City will give accurate figures. SP City did not respond to calls seeking comment.
Dr Hirendra Birua, superintendent of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS), said, “A total of 10 people admitted to RIMS were shot dead during the mob violence. Two have died and one is in critical condition. The rest seem out of danger.”
SSP Surendra Jha has suffered a head injury. A police constable has also been shot.
After “rumours spread” the government ordered a complete internet shutdown. Video clips on social media showed how the police opened fire on the protesters.
JMM spokesperson Supriyo Bhattacharya said that an inquiry has been ordered. “Investigation will be done from every angle – from videos circulated on social media where police are seen firing at the mob, due to which the police failed to stop the violence. However, the police resorted to firing as the situation was very harsh.”
A government source said the Home Department on Saturday issued an order to constitute a two-member inquiry committee – comprising Principal Secretary Disaster Management Amitabh Kaushal, Jharkhand Police’s ADG (Ops) Sanjay Lathkar. The report has been asked to be submitted within seven days.
State BJP president and Rajya Sabha MP Deepak Prakash told The Sunday Express, “The entire sequence of events is a complete failure of the state government.”
Meanwhile, two RAF companies have been called in and over 2,000 police personnel have been deployed at 12 points around the main road area where the violence took place. There was peace in the area on Saturday.
The relatives and neighbors of Sahil and Mudassar, who were martyred due to bullet injuries, are in mourning.
Salahuddin, a former ward commissioner and Sahil’s neighbor, said, “Sahil studied till intermediate and worked in a mobile shop. His father is an auto driver and the family is in shock. He has been shot in the stomach. His last rites were performed today at 3 pm. We have demanded compensation from the government. We have asked on whose orders the police opened fire.
The second person to die was 15-year-old Mudassir Alam, who was waiting for his Class X results. His uncle Mohammad Shahid Ayubi said, “The government has failed us. What was the reason for the firing and was it the only option left with the police? The government should answer and the culprits should be booked.”
“We do not even know how he became part of the crowd. He had been shot in the head. His father works as a laborer and he was the only child of his parents. We have demanded compensation.”