The central government on Saturday decided to suspend all activities of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) till an Oversight Committee is formally appointed and takes over the day-to-day activities of the federation. This includes suspension of ongoing ranking contests, and refund of entry fees charged from participants for any ongoing activities. The announcement follows the government’s decision to appoint an Oversight Committee on January 20, 2023, which will handle the day-to-day activities of the WFI.
The decision came soon after WFI assistant secretary Vinod Tomar was suspended with immediate effect. The suspended WFI official denied any communication regarding his suspension, saying that the news reached him through ANI when the news agency contacted him for a response. This announcement.
Tomar told ANI on Saturday, “I didn’t know about this. I came to know only through a call from ANI that I have been suspended. I didn’t get any prior information about it. I didn’t do anything wrong.” not done.”
Earlier on Saturday, Tomar had termed the allegations against the federation president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh as ‘baseless’. Speaking to ANI, Tomar said that the wrestlers, who were sitting on a dharna at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar alleging sexual harassment and financial impropriety against the WFI president, did not present any evidence to support their claims Have done
“The allegations are baseless. It’s been three-four days (wrestlers sitting in protest) and they haven’t produced any evidence yet. I’ve been associated with them for the past 12 years and I’ve never seen any such incident ” Or allegations,” Tomar told ANI.
“The Government of India is committed to ensuring the proper functioning of the WFI, and the Oversight Committee will help ensure that all complaints made against the Executive Committee of the Federation are investigated and that the Federation is managed in an efficient and transparent manner.” In the best interest of the players,” said a release by the central government on Saturday.