Uttarakhand: Over 50 Char Dham Pilgrims Have Died Within 2 Weeks Of Yatra, Mostly Due To ‘Heart Attacks’ – News18

Last Updated:

Medical screening for devotees above 50 years of age has been made mandatory, officials said. (Representational image via PTI)

Medical screening for devotees above 50 years of age has been made mandatory, officials said. (Representational image via PTI)

Three devotees died in Gangotri, 12 in Yamunotri, 14 in Badrinath and 23 in Kedarnath, Garhwal Commissioner Vinay Shankar Pandey said

More than 50 pilgrims have died so far since the start of the Chardham Yatra in Uttarakhand nearly a fortnight ago on May 10.

At a press conference here on Friday, Garhwal Commissioner Vinay Shankar Pandey said, “52 Chardham pilgrims have died so far, mostly due to heart attacks. Most of them were above 60 years.”

Three devotees died in Gangotri, 12 in Yamunotri, 14 in Badrinath and 23 in Kedarnath, he said.

Medical screening for devotees above 50 years of age has been made mandatory. The screening is being done en route to the Himalayan temples, and pilgrims are being advised not to travel if they are not found medically fit enough, he said.

However, if they still insist on continuing the yatra, they are allowed to go further after filling up a form.

Continuous efforts are being made to further improve the Chardham Yatra arrangements, he said, adding that so far nine lakh 67 thousand 302 devotees have visited the Chardham, he said.

The yatra is going on smoothly at all the four pilgrimages, Pandey said.

Explore in-depth coverage of Lok Sabha Election 2024 Schedule, Voter Turnout, Upcoming Phase And Much More At News18 Website

(This story has not been edited by News18 staff and is published from a syndicated news agency feed – PTI)