HomeVideosWorldTrial of 20 people accused of 2015 Paris attacks begins - Times...

Trial of 20 people accused of 2015 Paris attacks begins – Times of India

Paris: France will on Wednesday launch the trial of 20 accused in a secure compound in a 13th-century courthouse. Islamic State The group’s 2015 attack on Paris killed 130 and injured hundreds.
On November 13, 2015, nine gunmen and suicide bombers attacked each other at France’s national football stadium, the Bataclan concert hall and Paris restaurants and cafes. The rooms, which were designed to house 1,800 litigants and 350 lawyers.
The lone survivor of the extremist cell since that night, Salah Abdeslam, is the prime defendant among those on trial for the deadliest attack in France since World War II. He is the only accused of murder. The same IS network attacked Brussels months later, killing 32 others.
Dominic Kielmos, whose son died in a cafe that night, said the month dedicated to the testimony of victims at trial would be important for both his own healing and that of the nation.
“Assassins, these terrorists thought they were firing in a crowd, in a crowd of people. But it wasn’t a mass — these were individuals who had life, who loved, had hopes and expectations, and we needed to talk about testing. It’s important.” She said,
Twenty people are charged, but will be prosecuted in the absence of six of them. Abdeslam, who abandoned his rental car in northern Paris and discarded a worn suicide vest before fleeing home in Brussels, declined to speak to investigators. But he has answers to many questions left about the attack and the people who planned it, both in Europe and abroad.
The modern court room was built in the 13th century Court in Paris, where Marie Antoinette and Emile Zola faced trial among others.
For the first time, victims can even have a secure audio link to listen from home with a delay of 30 minutes.
The trial is scheduled to last for nine months. The month of September will be devoted to the production of police and forensic evidence. October will be given for the testimony of the victims. From November to December, officials including the former President of France francois holland Will testify, as will the relatives of the attackers.
Abdeslam will be questioned several times. He has so far refused to speak to investigators.
No proceedings shall be televised or retransmitted to the public, but shall be recorded for archival purposes. Video recording is only allowed in France for some cases considered to be of historical importance, including last year’s trial in Paris for the 2015 attacks against the Charlie Hebdo newspaper and a kosher supermarket.

.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments