T20 World Cup: Hopes team can use defeat against New Zealand as motivation to push a little extra, says KL Rahul

Star opener KL Rahul on Tuesday said that he is very excited about the 2021 T20 Men’s World Cup, adding that India’s defeat against New Zealand in the semi-finals of the 50-over World Cup in 2019 hurt the team a lot. Hopefully the team will use it. That as motivation to give a little extra push and win the tournament.

Virat Kohli-led India will begin their T20 World Cup campaign against arch-rivals Pakistan at the Dubai International Stadium on October 24.

t20 world cup full coverage | the schedule | photos | Mark sheet

“I am very excited, obviously, the World Cup is a big event and every cricketer is looking forward to it and every player is training throughout the year to play this tournament. The loss in the 2019 World Cup semi-final hurt the team a lot and hopefully we can use this to give ourselves a little extra push and motivation and try to win the tournament,” said Rahul at a clubhouse hosted by Red Bull. said during the session.

The current edition of the T20 World Cup was to be played last year but was postponed due to Kovid-19. However, Rahul feels that it has given the teams time to figure out their best combination.

Read also | T20 World Cup 2021: India aim to finalize batting order in final warm-up match against Australia

“The World Cup was supposed to be played last year but it was postponed and it has given way too much time to think about the best combination and fix everything and try to make a big impact in the mega event,” he said. said.

MS Dhoni, who led Chennai Super Kings (CSK) to their fourth title in the recently concluded IPL 2021, has joined the Indian team as a mentor for this marquee event.

Read also | T20 World Cup: Hardik Pandya not bowling won’t affect India’s chances, feels Kapil Dev

When asked about Dhoni coming back to the dressing room, the Karnataka batsman said that it is amazing and the former India captain brings a calming effect.

“Obviously, it is amazing to have MS Dhoni back with the team as we have played under him and we looked up to him as a mentor even when he was our captain. We loved having him in the dressing room when he was the captain, we loved the peace,” said Rahul.

“We all look up to him to help us, he is so nice here and his presence gives us a sense of peace too. I have enjoyed spending time with him the first couple of days and it has been so much fun I look forward to chewing my brains about cricket, captaincy and all things cricket.”

get all IPL news and cricket score Here