T20 World Cup 2023: Deepti Sharma Becomes First Indian Player to Pick 100 T20I Wickets

edited by: Aditya Maheshwari

Last Update: February 15, 2023, 20:20 IST

Deepti Sharma took three wickets against the West Indies (AFP Image)

Deepti Sharma took three wickets against the West Indies (AFP Image)

Deepti is the only Indian to take 100 wickets in both women’s and men’s T20Is.

Spinner Deepti Sharma became the first Indian to take 100 wickets in T20 Internationals as she smashed three sixes against West Indies in the Women’s T20I. World Cup Clash. With the first two wickets, she went past Poonam Yadav to become the highest wicket-taker India While the third got him an entry into the Special 100 Club.

She is the only Indian to take 100 wickets in both men’s and women’s T20Is. Yuzvendra Chahal is the highest wicket-taker for India in Men’s T20Is – 91.

Read this also | Shreyas Iyer had a long session today, will take a call after a few days of training: Rahul Dravid

She claimed the wickets of Stafanie Taylor, Shemaine Campbelle and Afi Fletcher to create history on Wednesday as India restricted Bangladesh to 118/6 in 20 overs.

The right-arm spinner entered the T20 World Cup with 96 wickets and took just two matches to break into the elite list. She is the ninth female cricketer to take 100 wickets in T20Is, Anisa Mohammed tops the list with 125 wickets, while Nida Dar is second with 121.

Meanwhile, Deepti has found a home in Lucknow as UP Warriors signed her for Rs 2.6 crore in the Women’s Premier League auction in Mumbai on Monday. The 25-year-old has emerged as a match-winner for the Indian team with both bat and ball in recent times, which helped them attract several bids in the inaugural WPL auction.

India vs West Indies, Women’s T20 World cup live score

Starting at a base price of INR 50 lakhs, Deepti was involved in a tightly contested match between Delhi Capitals, Gujarat Giants and Mumbai Indians. UP Warriors then surprisingly made a first bid of Rs 2.2 crore and eventually signed the all-rounder.

“Obviously it is a good opportunity. I will try to do well for the UP team. I am expecting that. It is a new beginning as we have been waiting for it for a long time. My role will be to do well. Well done to all the Indian players, who have been waiting for it.” Will aim to contribute to the UP team, Deepti told the broadcasters.

get the latest cricket news Here