T20 World Cup 2021: Temba Bavuma says injured arm is getting better, hopes to play in practice match

Temba Bavuma
Image Source: Getty Images

Temba Bavuma

South Africa captain Temba Bavuma on Thursday said his injured arm is showing improvement and is hopeful that he will pass the fitness test to play in the T20 World Cup warm-up match against Afghanistan on Monday.

Bavuma, who is recovering from a broken thumb in Sri Lanka last month, will have his first “live net” on Friday.

“My hand is definitely improving day by day. It’s getting stronger and a lot more comfortable. Tomorrow is the first time I’m facing bowlers at the live nets,” Bavuma was quoted as saying by ESPN Cricinfo.

“I am looking forward to it and it will give me a better indication of how far I have progressed. At the moment, everything is still on track. I want to play in practice games. I am feeling good.”

He is hoping to open as well as bat quinton de kock In the T20 World Cup starting on Sunday in Oman and UAE.

The 31-year-old batsman said, “My role is very clear and clear. I am the person to come at the top, and if there is a chance to be at No. 3, I will fill that position.”