T20 World Cup 2021: No penetration from our bowling; India was playing catch-up against New Zealand: Sachin Tendulkar

New Delhi: The great batsman and former captain of India Sachin Tendulkar Said in the defeat of the national team to New Zealand on Monday t20 world cup was one of those matches where “nothing works even when you try. Virat Kohli and his men pushed India to the brink of elimination after they suffered a seven-wicket loss to the Kiwis in Dubai on Sunday.” This was their second successive defeat in the tournament.

Tendulkar said Indian batsmen were forced to play big shots as they were not given easy singles by New Zealand and the bowlers lacked penetration while defending the low score of 110. “It was a tough day for our team but there are days like this when nothing comes out even if you try. Nothing much to talk about honestly. I hope our team will show something good in this tournament in the coming days.

Read also | Kevin Pietersen supports Indian team, says players are not robots

“I thought India were playing a fascinating game, the way New Zealand dominated, it was a difficult time for our batsmen as they could not get those easy singles that forced them to play big shots. I don’t think our bowling had that penetration.” He described New Zealand captain Kane Williamson’s strategy over the top and said he must have come up with a lot of planning. “From ball one, there were changes in his field settings and bowling. top notch. I thought his plan must be very good. First six overs, we were 35 for 2. In that, 20 runs came in five overs and Adam Milne got 15 runs in one over. For me, the crucial phase of the game happened after the six to tenth over.

“There were 24 balls, we scored 13 and lost a wicket. According to me that was an important step which we missed to capitalize. Because I know if you lose wickets early, batsmen think of partnerships. “But those easy singles were not available and it forced our batsmen to play big shots. Rohit got out doing that, Virat got out like that,” said the 48-year-old iconic cricketer, who has several scoring records to his name.

read also | Mohammad Azharuddin upset over Virat Kohli leaving PC after match: ‘You will have to face the nation’

Tendulkar also pointed to another successful tactic of the Kiwis while bowling to Pant, which he said was employed during the 2019 (50-over) World Cup. “Pant came and the fast bowlers came immediately and when the spin attack came, the end (of spin bowling) changed immediately. Again a smart move,” he explained.

“I remember the 2019 World Cup, when Mitchell Santner came to bowl to Pant, he was bowling from the long end so that when Pant attacked towards mid-wicket, it would be towards the longest boundary of the ground. The same thing happened yesterday.” Tendulkar also said that leg-spinners who have been mixing balls – googlies, top spin, flippers and normal leg spin – have been successful against India in recent times. “If I have to speak, the spinners, Ish Sodhi was very effective yesterday and Mitchell Santner bowled well along with him. Together they conceded just 32 runs in 8 overs, and it’s a very impressive performance.

“We have to do better in these areas. When India started bowling, you needed to take three wickets to stay in the game. We didn’t concede too many runs and took a wicket (in the powerplay) but it was not impressive bowling.

get all IPL news and cricket score Here