T20 important part of South Africa’s strategy to attract new fans: Temba Bavuma

South Africa have been placed in a tough group for the T20 World Cup.  (AFP photo)

South Africa have been placed in a tough group for the T20 World Cup. (AFP photo)

South Africa will get a chance to decide their combination ahead of the World Cup when they take on Sri Lanka in the three-match T20I series in September.

• IANS
  • Last Update:22 August 2021, 3:36 pm IS
  • Follow us on:

South Africa captain Temba Bavuma has said that the upcoming 2021 Men’s T20 World Cup is a tournament of significant importance for his team and the country. South Africa has never progressed beyond the semi-final stage of a men’s T20 or 50-over World Cup.

“The 2021 ICC T20 World Cup is important for the Proteas and South Africa as a nation. Not only is the T20 format an important part of Cricket South Africa’s strategy to introduce new fans to the game of cricket, this tournament will also be the first of three opportunities for us to claim the ICC World Cup trophy for the first time.” Bavuma said on ICC-cricket.com

South Africa are placed in a tough Group 1 in the Super 12 stage with defending champions West Indies, 2010 winners England, Australia and two more teams from the first round. South Africa has never progressed beyond the semi-final stage of any senior ICC event.

“The group we are in is an exciting one and we look forward to facing everyone in it as we go about our mission to reach the finals and the final championship,” Bavuma confirmed.

South Africa started the year with a 2-1 series loss to Pakistan in February. After this, the series was lost 3-1 to the same opposition team at home in April. But he returned to beat West Indies 3–2 in June and July and then beat Ireland 3–0 in the month following.

South Africa will get a chance to decide their combination ahead of the World Cup when they take on Sri Lanka in the three-match T20I series in September.

“We have a really exciting team that we are building with a lot of raw talent, who will guide and lead the youngsters together with experienced hands. We have spent the bulk of the year preparing for this competition and I look forward to leading my country in its first world showpiece as captain,” concluded Bavuma.

South Africa will start their T20 World Cup campaign against Australia in Abu Dhabi on 23 October.

get all IPL news and cricket score Here

Leave a Reply