New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday (July 12) extended the interim bail of Alt News co-founder Mohammad Zubair till further orders. The top court directed to list Zubair’s petition for hearing on September 7. The Alt News co-founder was granted interim bail in an FIR lodged in Sitapur district of Uttar Pradesh for allegedly hurting religious sentiments.
The top court gave the Uttar Pradesh government four weeks to file a reply on the plea of Alt News co-founder Mohammad Zubair. The court had earlier heard Zubair’s plea challenging the Allahabad High Court order refusing to quash an FIR lodged against him by the UP Police for a tweet in which he allegedly accused three Hindu saints. Said to be ‘hatred’.
The Supreme Court has extended the interim bail of Alt News co-founder Mohammad Zubair till further orders. court
Lists Zubair’s petition for hearing on September 7. https://t.co/JeiEADDm58— ANI (@ANI) 12 July 2022
Delhi court to hear Zubair’s bail plea on July 14
In a case related to an “objectionable tweet” posted by Mohammad Zubair against a Hindu deity in 2018, a Delhi court on Tuesday posted a bail plea filed by him for July 14 hearing. Additional Sessions Judge Devendra Kumar Jangla adjourned the hearing for Thursday after the prosecution sought time for detailed arguments in the matter.
Appearing through video conference, SPP Atul Srivastava urged the court to adjourn the matter, saying a separate case against Zubair is scheduled for hearing before the Supreme Court on Tuesday. Advocate Vrinda Grover, appearing for the accused, urged the court to take up the matter on Wednesday.
The prosecutor, however, said that he was in Bhopal and would not be available to appear in the court on Wednesday. Grover had then said that in case Srivastava was not available, another prosecutor could argue the matter.
Grover said, “He may appear through the VC. This bail was filed. It is a man’s liberty. Let it be taken tomorrow. He may appear before the VC.” Srivastava then urged the court to adjourn the matter to July 14, which the judge allowed.
Earlier on July 2, a magisterial court had rejected Zubair’s bail plea and sent him to 14-day judicial custody (JC) in the case. The court cited the nature and gravity of the offenses against the accused and said that the matter is in the initial stage of investigation.
The court had sent him to Jesse after five days of custodial interrogation. The court, in its order, also took note of the submission of the Public Prosecutor that the investigation is at an early stage and there is every possibility that the accused would need to be taken into police custody. The judge rejected the bail application and considered adding new sections during the investigation.
(With ANI/PTI Inputs)