Shiraz Shrine Attack: Iran Says Five Accused to Face Death Penalty

Iran’s judiciary said on Thursday that five people faced the death penalty for an October attack on a Shiite shrine in the southern city of Shiraz that killed at least 13 people.

The judiciary’s Mizan Online website said the five had been charged with “corruption on earth” for the October 26 attack on the Shah Cheragh mausoleum, which is a capital offense in Iran.

According to Mizan, Kazem Mousavi, head of the judiciary in Shiraz’s Fars province, said the case had been expedited “in the shortest possible time”.

Mousavi said the accused were also charged with membership of the Islamic State (IS) group and “conspiracy against the security of the country”.

He added that if found guilty, the defendants can appeal to Iran’s Supreme Court.

The IS-claimed attack comes more than a month after protests erupted across Iran over the custodial death of a young Iranian Kurdish woman.

Mahsa Amini, 22, died after being arrested by morality police in Tehran for allegedly violating the country’s dress code for women.

According to officials, one of the perpetrators of the attack, identified by media in Iran as Hamed Badakhshan, died from injuries sustained during his arrest.

The Islamic republic said last month that 26 “takfiri terrorists” from Afghanistan, Azerbaijan and Tajikistan had been arrested in connection with the attack.

In Shia-majority Iran, the term takfiri generally refers to jihadists or supporters of radical Sunni Islam.

read all breaking news Here