HomeVideosSportsPremier League: Martin Odegaard's free kick helps Arsenal win 1-0 at Burnley

Premier League: Martin Odegaard’s free kick helps Arsenal win 1-0 at Burnley

Martin Odegaard
Image Source: AP

Martin Odegaard

Martin Odegaard’s first-half free-kick gave Arsenal a 1-0 win at Burnley, whose English Premier League winless home run was extended to 13 matches on Saturday.

The Norway international scored the only goal in the 30th minute to ease the pressure on Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta, whose team started the season with three straight losses.

Arteta’s side secured a second consecutive league win after beating Norwich 1-0 last weekend, but were indebted to a controversial VAR intervention that Burnley felt robbed the team of second-half penalties.

Referee Anthony Taylor initially pointed to the spot when Burnley substitute Matej Vydra went down under challenge from Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale, only to change his mind after watching replays.

Burnley took the lead in the opening 20 minutes in terms of half chances, with two attempts from striker Ashley Barnes sandwiching a header from James Tarkowski.

Arsenal lacked the pace or creative spark to jeopardize Burnley’s well-drilled 4-4-2 system during the opening 25 minutes, but centered Bukayo Saka 25 yards from a goal by Barnes. It all changed after being trapped in the position.

Barnes was shown a yellow card by the referee and Odegaard curled the resulting free kick beyond Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope for his first goal of the season and third overall for Arsenal.

Burnley went ahead looking for an equalizer before the break and Barnes, under pressure from Arsenal defender Gabriel, failed to land his shot on goal after Josh Brownhill’s clip ball went into the box.

Arsenal came close to doubling their lead at the stroke of halftime when Emil Smith Rowe shot off goal for the first time after being picked by Nicolas Pepe.

Burnley’s intent set Clarets fans on fire after the second-half restart and Ashley Westwood failed to get enough power on her close-range effort.

The Gunners responded through Smith Row, whose low shot was easily assembled by Pope after good work from Saka and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Burnley boss Sean Diess made a double substitution in the 56th minute, sending Maxwell Cornet and Wydra for Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Barnes, and it had an immediate effect.

The recently signed Cornet was warmly received and further swelled the home crowd, forcing him to Ramsdale minutes after takeoff.

Vyadra was also quick to contribute. He ran on a short back-pass from Gunners defender Ben White and when the Czech Republic striker went down under a challenge from Ramsdale, referee Taylor awarded a penalty.

After VAR intervened, Taylor checked the replays and immediately reversed his decision.

The England goalkeeper was made to contact the ball first and Taylor’s U-turn enraged Burnley. Chris Wood headed for the clarets, Dwight McNeill fires into the side-netting, and Vydra sees Charlie Taylor’s cross wide.

Arsenal held on to extend their unbeaten league run to 10 games at Turf Moor and left Burnley with one point in their first five games.


- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments